“Do not despise the day of small things” Zechariah 4 v10.
The beginnings of the church here at Greenford Green date back to the 19th Century. Sir William Perkin opened his Aniline purple dye factory on the Oldfield Lane. He was an evangelical Christian and wanted to spread the gospel. When he built his factory he also built workers cottages opposite the factory (the site of the old bakery and Wincanton warehouse site). A Sunday school started in one of these houses and from these small beginnings the work here at Greenford Green started.
In the early 20th century Horsenden Hill and the Black Horse Pub became something of a tourist attraction. It was in the fields near the Black Horse that tent missions were held during the summer months. In the early 1930s Greenford Green became the site of many new housing estates to provide housing for employees of new companies – such as Glaxo and Lyons.
In 1932 a plot of land was purchased and a church erected by the members of this fledgling church and Greenford Gospel Hall was founded.
Following the Second World War the church began to grow again and in the late 1950s it was decided to demolish the old building and build a new brick and timber-framed church. Some of the old 1950’s building are still visible today (the main hall and some smaller rooms at the front of the building date from this time).
In the 1980’s the church again required more space to accommodate a growing children and youth ministry. To mark its 50th year, the year of Jubilee, the rear extension was opened [Jubilee Hall] – providing an additional hall and a space for a kitchen.
It has been amazing to see the Lord provide for the people here at Greenford and we have seen the power of faith and love at work as the people of God have given sacrificially of their time and money. The church has always been run by an eldership or a leadership team, and currently is lead by a team of leaders and trustees.
GGC is a bible-believing church that seeks to glorify Jesus Christ in all that it does through the power of the Holy Spirit. It welcomes people of all ages and all nationalities through it’s doors where a very warm welcome will be found.
We believe that the church will grow and we will extend the Kingdom of God through the church to our community.
What we believe
We believe that once a person turns to Christ for salvation they become a member of the church universal. The church comprises of all who love Christ and have been born again by the Spirit of God.
The church here at GGC seeks to worship and honour our Lord by lives that are committed to Him. It is our desire here at GGC that we grow together in maturity, love and unity and that as we grow closer to Christ we will grow closer together. Together we will know God and as we serve Him in unity we will experience His rich blessing as His church is built.
- Knowing God's presence is our passion here at GGC. We want to know, experience and enjoy God's felt and realised presence.
- We welcome the Holy Spirit's activity in our personal and church life. We believe in the baptism and the gifts of the Holy Spirit.
- Dynamic, Spontaneous Praise And Worship - Our response to God's presence may be seen in energetic worship with clapping, lifting hands and the singing of spontaneous unrehearsed songs to the Lord.
- Prayer - is the powerhouse of our church life. Individual prayer and fasting and prayer for the whole church is encouraged at GGC.
- Reaching The Lost - We believe that every believer is called to reach those who do not know Jesus Christ. As a church we support and participate in mission at home and abroad.
- Relationships - Our goal is to love one another. Everyone is encouraged to develop deeper relationships with other believers that result in encouragement and accountability. This happens as we devote ourselves to fellowship, and serving our Lord and one another with our time and talents.
- Prophetic Ministries - We believe that prophecy and the ministry of the prophet are to be active here at GGC. The prophetic voice must be heard if we are to be filled with vision and be led by Jesus. This and other gifts are to be fully active until the physical return of Christ.
- The Gifts Of The Holy Spirit - We believe that the gifts of the Holy Spirit are not only to be functioning in the church but are to be eagerly desired by all.
Our statement of faith
We believe in God the Father Almighty, Creator of heaven and earth
We believe in Jesus Christ, God's only Son
Who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary
Suffered under Pontius Pilate; was crucified, died and was buried; He descended into hell
On the third day, He rose again from the dead
He ascended into heaven, and he is seated at the right hand of the Father
He will come again to judge the living and the dead
We believe in the Holy Spirit
We believe in the church that is the fellowship of all believers in Jesus Christ
The forgiveness of sins
The resurrection of the body
And the life everlasting. AMEN.